Hi Randy,

I've been thinking about this myself.

I have a 35 Mk II, which came out of the egg in 1974.  It was not well
cared for.

When I examined the chain plates, everything looked OK.  But I decided to
remove them anyway, as there was some leaking, just as you have.  When I
went to remove the ss bolts, they twisted off in the wrench, completely
rusted through inside the fiberglass knees - a possible dismasting waiting
to happen!

I did follow the Don Casey prescription of digging out about a half inch of
core where the chain plate goes through the deck, filled the hole with
thickened resin and sealed the aluminum cover with 3M 4000.  This fixed the
leaks.  However, I'm not absolutely positive this was the right thing to
do.  I think what I should have done was to drill test holes around the
suspect area, and then removed the top layer of fiberglass, and replaced
the core.  I think the real problem is that once moisture gets into the
core, it has no way to get out, and will eventually travel.  I don't know
if I had thought about that at the time.  Maybe I just didn't want to think
about it!

John
C&C 35 MkII
Wit's End