I have to agree with Joe about the interior volume of the CatBenHun boats.
Wide beam carried well aft on the newer designs makes for lots of interior
room. Much more than on any of the boats designed in the 1980s.

That said, none of the newer Catalinas or Hunters I've been aboard (which
includes several models from 33 to about 45 feet) seem to be set up as good
sea boats. Few hand holds, few fiddles, big spaces between the cabinets. A
local Catalina 42 Mk2 owner has stopped taking his boat out on Pamlico Sound
when the wind is forecast to be above 15 knots because he and his wife were
tired of getting uncomfortable and bouncing around the interior when
underweigh. (The Sound averages only about 20 feet deep and develops a
significant, short chop at 20 knots and above. A Donzi 33 came into my
marina yesterday from across the Sound; they said they had to turn back
twice because of the chop, and it was blowing 8 to 12.)

I suspect the better description of the boats I've been aboard would be
"Dock Condo" instead of "Cruising Boat".

Rick Brass

Washington, NC