Consider me the unwanted guest at the party on this thread but I won’t use
Cetol. A few reasons. Years ago I redid all the teak trim on my Mako 261.
Fortunately the teak was just aged out. No prior coating that I could
determine. I sanded to bright, applied base coats of light Cetol and then
several coats of their Gloss. It looked okay, but not nearly as nice as a good
varnish job. I figured I could live with that if the maintenance was
substantially less than varnish.

It didn’t turn out that way. Yes, the Cetol lasted a bit longer than varnish
but not enough to overcome the “look” that IMHO was not as smooth and deep as
varnish.

Although I haven’t subjected my exterior teak trim on “Ronin” to the outdoors
yet, everything that I have re-varnished, cabin sole included, has been done
with AwlWood. Just from an ease of application (5/6 coats versus 8-10 for
regular varnish) and the deep, clear look it is worth it.

As an aside, I have a friend with a Tartan 37 who ponied up $4,000 last year to
have a professional crew redo all his exterior teak with Cetol. I watched the
process being done in the yard near my boat. It took every bit as much time as
a varnish job. Yesterday I was on his boat checking it out for him and I was
noting the quality of the finish. Very good but nowhere near as nice as a well
done varnish job.

And being the contrarian that I can be, next time I have to apply AwlWood, I’ll
spray.

Best,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin