      From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
 To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 5:44 PM
 Subject: Re: Stus-List Battery power

First, I completely agree with everyone else about amp hours and meters and the
sort.
But....
Just looking at the voltage, the easiest way is to think of the available
capacity as 1 volt from 11.7v to 12.7v.  Each 0.1 (tenth) of a volt is roughly
equal to 10% of usable capacity.
Long winded explanation:This is actually pretty conservative since minimum
voltage of a dead battery is 10.5v (0%)  Full is 12.7v (100%).  A difference of
2.2v battery service life (think warranty or years before replacement)
decreases exponentially the further discharged you get.  Normally a service
life measurement is based on 50% discharge cycles.  Imagine that the battery is
rated for 200 cycles @ 50% for its entire life.  That number might drop to 100
cycles @ 70%, and increase to 400 @ 20%.  Because of all of this, the typical
recommendation is to minimize depth of discharge overall but to absolutely
avoid discharging deeper than 50%.  Using the assumption of a linear
relationship of 2.2v between 0% and 100% we can extrapolate that our 50%
minimum to 100% is equal to 1.1v.  Since its just easier to say one volt, and
12.7v is easy to associate with 11.7v.  I come full circle to the 10% = 0.1v.
Did I explain that well enough?
Josh MuckleyS/V Sea Hawk 1989 C&C 37+Solomons, MD

On Feb 12, 2018 3:02 PM, "David Knecht via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>