A couple more points.

First I want to mention that what ultimately helped me get through
the ordeal was Chuck Scheafer and this list.

I knew from having actually motored on Chuck's boat and that the Max Prop
would work well.  I went for the Flex O fold mostly because it was over
$1,000 cheaper and appeared to have less drag.

Chuck also put me in touch with another 34+ owner who's got a Flex-O-Fold
installed.  I called him / he has the same 16 X 12 Flex o Fold I was sent
and he also thought it was over-pitched. He can't get more than 2900-3000
RPM either. He also told me he's replaced his engine mounts and  has to
replace his cutlass bearing every other year.  After that conversation I
knew I had to get a different prop.

As for the comment about 2,850 RPM being an ideal RPM for the 3GM 30F
that's true.  It's the ideal cruising RPM. as stated by Yanmar in the
manual

However, according to Yanmar's dyno testing graph the engine  makes 16 HP
on the "Propeller Power Curve" at 2850 RPM.  The engine needs 3,400 RPM to
make it's max rating of 24 HP "Propeller Power".  If it's struggling to get
to 3000 in good weather, you might get to 2,700 - 2,800 in a stiff headwind
and waves. Personally, I would not want to be in a storm with an engine
struggling to make 16 HP  "Propeller power" pushing a 13,000 lbs 36 ft boat
through rough waters...

- Francois
1990 34+ "Take Five"
Lake Lanier, GA