From: Dennis C. via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 2:46 PM
To: Stus-List <CnC-List@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Dennis C. <capt...@gmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Canadian Luxury Tax

When the US imposed the luxury tax in the 90's or whenever, it put 17,000 boat
builders in the unemployment line.  Luxury car salespersons also suffered.
Legislators and bureaucrats are woefully ignorant of the law of unintended
consequences.

Did it result in increased tax collections?  Not really.  As it only applied to
new yachts bought in the US, rich folks simply bought yachts in Europe and
brought them home, as I recall.

Other anecdotal laws we seem to forget: the U shaped curve (governs
efficiencies of volume), the 95% rule (it's easy to pick up the first 95% of
that pound of sugar you spilled).  And there's always the law above them all,
Murphy's Law.

--

Dennis C.

Touche' 35-1 #83

Mandeville, LA

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 1:33 PM Bill Coleman via CnC-List