Andy - you might need to make a short trip to st Pierre and Miquelon.

Eurozone VAT is similar I believe, non-paid boats need to leave briefly and
return to reset the clock (or pay) and paid boats can’t be gone too long or
they lose their paid status.
  I think I see a retirement gig in the med in my future!
Dave
Sent from my iPhone

>>> https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-3-eng.html