On Oct 18, 2016, at 19:43 , Alan Snyder <applemail832...@cbfiddle.com> wrote:

> Well, try this on Sierra:
>
> Use the Open File… menu item of Safari to open a dialog. Then activate a
> different application. On my system, the Cancel button in the dialog grays
> out (although it still looks different than the disabled Open button). Now
> click the Cancel button. Even though the button is grayed out, on my system
> the dialog is dismissed.

Yup, that works as you say. Guess why? (You won’t like the answer.)

The buttons change appearance when they’re in a window margin at the bottom of
an inactive window (and, I would expect, when they’re in a toolbar at the top).
If they’re in the body of the window, they don’t change.

I’ve lost track of what the point is here. Apparently there is no programmatic
way to control to inactive appearance, and “acceptsFirstResponder” only affects
the inactive behavior. Is there something you were trying to do that you
couldn’t, or was it only about explaining the apparent inconsistency?