My goal is understanding, and I'm not quite there yet.

I tried changing my program to use a textured window, and the textured buttons
now gray out when the window is inactive.

However, the buttons are not in the toolbar or a bottom margin. At least I
don’t think they are in a bottom margin, unless the entire window excluding the
toolbar is a bottom margin. The buttons are within a box with a fill color.

Do you have a test of a textured button in a textured window that does not gray
out when inactive? (I’m ignoring the fact that textured buttons are not
supposed to be used in the content area.)

I have also noticed that if I add a template icon to the textured button, then
the text and the icon both gray out, even in a non-textured window.

However, if I use a textured segmented control with a label and a template
icon, the label grays out but the icon does not.

Perhaps the intent is to gray out all textured buttons in inactive windows but
the support is buggy?

  Alan