Not at all!

I am wanting to use my own URIResolver so I can define my own or arbitrary
'protocols'. Here is an example:

<xsl:variable name="nextMessageSet"
select="document('jbossmq://localhost:1099/QueueConnectionFactory#MyXMLTestQ
ueue?max=10')"/>

Now it doesn't matter what text string goes in the document argument - as
long as your URIResolver knows how to process it into some form of XML. So
my URI processor might implement a stack of protocols that know how to do
different things and if it doesn't match one it defaults to the regular url
patterns. E.g for the example above my resolver might know how to handle
this string by connecting to a jboss JMS message queue and retrieve a
maximum of 10 messages and return it as a chunk of XML - that I can then use
in my stylesheet.

This is particularly powerful when you couple it with dynamic xpath
expressions (like with saxon:expression). It is nice doing the processing
this way as you don't have to make any assumptions in the data setup about
how your stylesheet processing might go (hence pull MVC - your model really
doesn't need to know anything about the view). In particular I use it as
part of a lazy loading strategy - rather than pre-loading an entire XML
document generated from multiple dBs and App servers before XSLT processing
I use the document() function to selectively load what is required depending
on the processing path that is actually followed in the stylesheet.

Works for me anyhow ;-)

Luke