Wait, does it actually recognize the format by the format _name_ used, and not by a mime content-type? Like unless my unAPI server calls the endnote format "endnote", it won't recognize it? That would be odd, and good to know. I thought the unAPI format names were purely arbitrary, but recognized by their association with a mime content-type like "application/x- /endnote/-refer". But no, at least as far as Zotero is concerned, you have to pick format shortnames that match what Zotero expects?

Robert Forkel wrote:
from looking at line 14 here
https://www.zotero.org/trac/browser/extension/trunk/translators/unAPI.js
i'd say:
ad 1. RECOGNIZABLE_FORMATS = ["mods", "marc", "endnote", "ris",
"bibtex", "rdf"] also see function checkFormats
ad 2. the order listed above
ad 4.: from my experience the unapi scraper takes precedence over coins