Ross Singer wrote:
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Mike Taylor <m...@indexdata.com> wrote:
On 30 April 2010 16:42, Ed Summers <e...@pobox.com> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Ross Singer <rossfsin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just to clarify -- OpenURL 1.0 does not assume HTTP is being used.
Oh, so that's the problem!
Yes!  Exactly!

Poor old OpenURL 1.0 is abstracted to hell and back.  The sad old
thing doesn't even know what transport it's running on (why?  Because
Abstraction Is Good, not because anyone actually had any reason for
wanting to use a different transport than HTTP), and as a result it
can't assume it has, for example, the ability for the transport to
report errors.

Of course, per Eric's earlier comment, there's no reason why we can't
take what's there and refine it so that there are assumptions like
HTTP and optimize it to actually *work* in such an environment.

Is there?

But the interesting use case isn't OpenURL over HTTP, the interesting use case (for me) is OpenURL on a disconnected eBook reader resolving references from one ePub to other ePub content on the same device. Can OpenURL be used like that?

cheers
stuart
--
Stuart Yeates