There’s also something to be said for the Unix pipeline/filter model of
processing. That way of breaking down a task into small steps, wiring little
programs to filter the data for each step, building up the solution
iteratively, essentially a form of function composition. Immedidately, you can
do a lot of powerful one-off or scripting tasks right from the command line.
More generally, it’s a very powerful model to have in your head, can transform
your thinking.

-Tod