From: Mike Silber <silber.m...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 11 April 2018 at 16:34
To: "Abibu R. Ntahigiye" <ab...@tznic.or.tz>
Cc: Andrew Alston <andrew.als...@liquidtelecom.com>, General Discussions of
AFRINIC <community-discuss@afrinic.net>, AfriNIC Discuss
<members-disc...@afrinic.net>
Subject: Re: [Community-Discuss] AFRINIC and the GDPR

If I can add to this, there is as yet no clear direction from the European DPAs
as a collective on how GDPR affects whois access in general.

The RIPE NCC approach is premised on their interactions with the Dutch DPA,
rather than a Europe wide approach.

In addition, I am not sure I concur with Mr Alston’s insistence that “holding
data of EU citizens” automatically places AfriNIC into the category of data
controller in terms of GDPR or imposes any requirements on AfriNIC,
particularly as the GDPR applies to processing of personal data in the context
of the activities of an establishment of a controller or a processor in the
Union.

The extraterritorial application is premised on a nexus requirement set out in
general terms in Recital 23, but requiring specific determination in terms of
national law by Member States.

Mike

On 11 Apr 2018, at 13:36, Abibu R. Ntahigiye