> I thought the whole reason that Ant, Avalon, Cocoon, James et al moved top
> level (out of Jakarta) was to get rid of top level umbrella PMCs so that
> each project has its own PMC.

James,

As I understand it, the ASF is flattening the hierarchy, but I see top-level
projects established around synergistic semantic domains, not code bases.
Isn't that why the ASF Board established webservices.apache.org, and
rejected the Cocoon charter?  The fact that they would promote Cocoon in the
absence of an acceptable charter is an extension of respect to that
Community, showing the the Board is confident that they will return with a
proper charter governing ... dynamic XML-based content serving, I would
expect.

> This is all Maven is trying to do. Any kinds of integration/merging is an
> internal decision for the Ant and Maven communities isn't it?

Remember, this started as a question.  WHY aren't they under by a common
TLP?  No one said that the Board was, would, or should enforce it.  But what
came back was a series of attacks, which I found (and find) completely
mystifying, and more troubling than the original perception of two projects
that could build further synergy.

        --- Noel