On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 04:01:06PM -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> With respect to the repository, and classpaths, I have proposed that Dion
> Gillard be selected to chair a Apache Repository (sub)-committee under the
> infrastructure PMC.

Just a clarification: the infrastructure team is actually a President's
Committee rather than a PMC.

"Um, why?" you may ask :-) The Chair of a PMC is an officer of the
corporation. Within the constraints of their "job role", an officer can do a
lot of things. Board Committees also have a lot of power. In the
infrastructure team case, when the Board considered the resolution, we
effectively said "nope; we don't want them to have that much leeway." So...
the Board asked Dirk if he could form a committee; he said yes :-)

And no, we'll skip what "a lot of power" means. No sense in riddling
people's heads with ideas :-)

In general, I believe any officer can form a committee. It is simply an
operational issue in getting that officer's work completed (well, not
directly the officer's, but what that person is responsible for). And yes,
this means that PMCs can create little subcommittees to take on specific
tasks. If that makes sense for the PMC, then they should do it. As long as
the PMC is *still* handling their primary responsibility of oversight; they
cannot delegate away responsibility, only operational types of things.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/