[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Sure you can ... select OS 8.1 Base then select only the needed Remus
extension and it will prompt you to make a new set. But it seems like based
on the Apple TIL articles that Any version of OS8 can access OSX, just not
vice-versa. Of course OSX Macs are connected via Ethernet. That is part of
the AT compatibility issue ... you must have IP addressing installed in the
OS for  OSX to address it. To that extent you have to either install
additional software to some versions of System software assuming they can
support it. I've heard it can be done with System 6, but not past OS X.3.

Have you upgraded the appleshare client to 3.7.4 or 3.8 depending on the mac this thread is about? I cant be bothered explaining what this upgrade does but they have been around for years now providing OS8 appleshare features to macs running OT1.1.2 which is OS7.1 and up, replacing the chooser and some OT files making Mactpc obsolete (a shame for low ram machines).

Printing is not filesharing. I assume it is handled through AppleTalk and
OSX can use AppleTalk, just not for file sharing. Does it still work under
OS X.4? I sense we are venturing outside of the Compact Mac world with this
topic ...

why would this be off topic? OSX is somewhat off topic as its barely even a MacOS. Still Compacts connecting to anything is on topic is we are only working on the compact side. Printing and filesharing can be done upto OS10.4

We had the local Mac tech come and install Beta X 4.1 server onto the office server, lasted a day and a half. Buggy useless shiet. Full of appoligies they will try to install Beta X 3.x server *unoffically*, they say that they cant sell it to us offically now - what a joke, it would be funny if it didn't cost so much time and money. I will have a word with the boss, its time to walk away from a mac server, or wait another 6 months and a few hundred $ more to find Beta X 5.x is just as lame as whats gone before it. So the office is back running from OS9 and ASIP6 with pcmac-lan installed on the pc's to get around the KB:885250 muck up. What a joke. Apple may pull its fist out around 10.4.7 as usual. BetaX, should have been AlphaX, how they can charge money for it each year is beyond me.

http://macwindows.com/ Apple acknowledged Tiger SMB problem while denying it, I'd laugh if I didn't spend a weekend bug finding and posting notes to Apple.