On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 14:22 -0800, terry mcintyre wrote:
> In my experience with IT systems administration, people do tend to let
> the hardware do the heavy lifting when algorithmic improvements could
> double and quadruple the performance. We don't know much about the
> space of useful algorithms; if we focus on some particular algorithm,
> we may only be able to wring a few percent out of it, where some
> better algorithm could possibly yield 50% or 75% reduction in run
> time. We are looking for higher peaks on a mountain range enshrouded
> by a heavy fog of uncertainty.

That may be true of IT system administrators,  but game developers
writing extremely high performance game playing programs like Go and
Chess don't think like that at all.   They do not blow off even minor
performance improvements.   They salivate when new hardware comes out,
and it's not because they can switch over to slower algorithms or use
higher level languages.   To these kind of people that would be like
buying a brand new Lamborghini for driving to the grocery store.