I think he's right. I'm fairly sure 7.5 is a second-player win on 9x9,
and for larger boards intuitively it makes sense that the komi should
be the same or lower. Also, we know that perfect komi is an integer,
for area scoring the likely candidates are 5 and 7, and for territory
scoring (and some unlikely area scoring cases) we also have 6. The
fraction is just deciding who shall have the advantage in breaking
ties.

Erik