Many years ago, when "auction komi" was tried out at a London Open Go
tournament, I collected statistics on what the winning komi bid was among
players of various strengths. There was a positive correlation between
playing strength and komi.  Of course this does not answer the question, it
just shows that strong humans valued the right to play first more than weak
humans did.

I find Hideki Kato's argument intuitively convincing. Suppose "God's komi"
is *n*, so a game between two perfect players using *n* komi ends in jigo.
But when two imperfect players use *n* komi, they will make imperfect
moves, which will reduce the value of sente, and of komi, and Black won't
(on average) be able to recover the *n* points he has paid.

However, there's a powerful counterargument to the above  I can put the
first black stone on the board as well as any professional can. And now,
assuming I am playing an equally weak human, it's White who suffers most
from the imperfection of our subsequent moves.

Nick

Nick Wedd      mapr...@gmail.com