I'm the furthest from an expert, but in the past have dabbled in both the DSL and Cable. I've stuck with cable. I have absolutely no qualifications in this, but only what I've been told. Cable works in blocks and depending on how many people are connected to your block at the time you are surfing, or whatever, will depend on your speed. I live in a small city of about 200,000 and the "block" is probably about 1 square mile. In a large city like New York the block could be one building. Anyway, the DSL providers I've talked to said (or tried to sell me on) that DSL is a constant speed, while cable fluctuates. I've seen the slow down on cable and found it usually is in the winter months. What this has to do with it I don't know, but we get bad weather here and it always seems to happen. I did switch over from cable TV to Direct TV and had to go out and brush off my disk. It was caked in snow and interrupting the signal. While I know cable companies receive their signals over satellite, I don't know if this is how they transmit their web service.

Jeff M