I know this goes against what the cable company says, and what we all believe, but the last few times I've had a problem with my cable connection I've had to use the opposite turn on order to get it going again. Yes, I'm saying I turned on the router and then the modem.
If nothing else works, just remember to try it.

John DeCarlo wrote:
Paula,

For getting cable set back up, here are some thoughts for simple steps:

1.  Turn off the Cable Modem.
2.  Turn off the Apple Airport Extreme router.
3.  Turn on the Cable Modem.
4.  Look for the Cable Modem light to indicate it is connected.  On mine, it
is the "cable light" of the four.
5.  Then turn on the router.
6.  Reset your connection to the router and see if you are on the Internet
now.