It's only anecdotal but I've heard from many people across the country with
DSL that they almost always get the lesser service then what they pay for on
average.  This is exactly what she described.  When she dropped it to the
service she was actually getting, the actual speed dropped again.  I'm sure
this is not everyone, but I've heard it enough to believe it happens as
often as I hear the cable is shared argument on the other side.  Though,
here at least in Phoenix, I've never run into a problem of not getting what
I paid for and a lot of the time substantially more then what I paid for
from cable.

Telcos have to move away from twisted pair, max speed is barely high speed
compared to FIOS or cable.

Mike