Mike said:
It's only anecdotal but I've heard from many people across the country with DSL that they almost always get the lesser service then what they pay for on average. This is exactly what she described. When she dropped it to the
service she was actually getting, the actual speed dropped again.

That's exactly what was happening. I was getting the top speed for my current level of service when I was on the "elite" level which was the bottom of the speed for that level. Once I changed to a lower service level, I never again got that 3 mbps speed....except with ATT's own speed test. That test site is consistently faster than any of the other sites I've used and since it is run by ATT, I imagine it is rigged to give optimum results even tho the customer can never actually achieve them. Now that I've got the cable going on my laptop, I can see that my speed it immensely faster even tho it is a windy, snowy ,freezing day and surely all my neighbors are inside and online. Normally I do notice slowdowns on cable when kids are home from school or on weekends but right now at least it's fast compared to the DSL. I think I"m going to cancel the DSL. It's a lot cheaper than the cable but maybe I can tell Comcast I'm going to cancel and get a better rate with them. ;-)

Paula
IN/USA
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" Have a wonderful day!