Can the file be printed? On a Mac you can print to Preview, then save again as a PDF. Is there a Windows equivalent you can use?

Daniel Else wrote:
Mike, if you have someone in the family who qualifies for the Adobe Acrobat Education pricing structure, I'd recommend that you go ahead and purchase AA Professional. It is a terrific discount. That will allow you to do anything you want to a pdf.

Dan,

Not anything! Turns out that the creator of a PDF file can lock it in such a way as to prevent any markup even by a recipient who uses Adobe Acrobat 3D Version 8, the highest version of Adobe Acrobat. I confirmed this with Adobe's sales.

Or do you have a different experience?

I'll be purchasing articles and then might have to highlight them. That's why I want to be able to highlight. I might have to print out and highlight hard copy.

Thanks,

Michael