Michael, if the creator of a PDF file locks it you have to respect that lock. That is the law. Any speech about breaking the lock violates the DMCA. You either respect the lock, find a more open supplier, or apply to the LOC for a waver (I think they accept petitions every 2 years).

I apologize for bringing up the issue and for drawing in others to provide workarounds.

Are the files locked? If not, then you can follow suggestions from the list.

Even if they are locked, you can request unlocked copies. That's often possible if you sign an agreement not to sell or distribute them commercially. It can be done that way for research purposes.

Betty