Micheal,

This might not help you with given you're on XP. I use an OSX app called Skim to manage and annotate sources for my papers. Its a fantastic tool. Might even make it worth going to a Mac.

Charles

http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/

Skim is a PDF reader and note-taker for OS X. It is designed to help you read and annotate scientific papers in PDF, but is also great for viewing any PDF file.

Stop printing and start skimming.

Explore the links to the right to investigate Skim and consider helping out with the project.
Features:

    * Viewing PDFs
    * Adding and editing notes
    * Highlighting important text
    * Making "snapshots" for easy reference
    * Navigation using table of contents or thumbnails
    * View all your notes and highlights
    * Convenient reading in full screen
    * Giving powerful presentations
    * Handy preview of internal links