There is another stark difference in that we are much farther apart than any of those European countries.

Put in population density and see this difference.

Luxembourg     481/sq.mi.
Belgium              892/sq.mi.
USA                      80/sq.mi.

Years ago the rural phone customers used to be subsidized by metropolitan phone customers. Because the density was so much less and cable runs were so much farther.

Stewart