They seem to have some trouble with the idea that, in the United States, you ought to have some freedom to think, say, and do things that chap somebody else's ass.

Yeah, as long as their exercise of rights doesn't infringe mine.

I may not agree with a particular dogma but as far as I'm
concerned I'll leave it alone if they keep it in their yard.

These before mentioned individuals appear not to appreciate the
distinction between public and private space.

I am sure I have opinions and positions that might tend not to
appeal to either side of the spectrum, but I'm not lost in an ideology
and I'm always willing to listen.
Maybe I'm not the right kind of storm trooper that's needed for
whatever kind of repression is on tap at the moment.

I might even agree in principle to particular agenda items, but I
don't define myself as anything other than a law abiding United
States citizen.  There's nothing in the Constitution that speaks
against the rights of free speech and assembly, and that is what
the Internet represents to me.

To me at least. As Betty says, if someone doesn't like it they can filter it locally. They have a right to build a fence around their house, and they have the right to control what happens inside that fence.

And that can be a good thing for them, depending.

But luckily the US isn't China yet.  The State isn't supreme, yet.  Stay
tuned, recent developments haven't been promising.