On Jan 29, 2009, at 6:32 PM, Tom Piwowar wrote:

Is this the most efficient use of the taxpayer's money to meet the
enumerated responsibilities of the federal government?

Tax cuts are probably the least efficient form of government spending.

Tax cuts are not spending. The money is not the government's it is the taxpayer's money.

It
is randomly tossing money to the winds. There is no direction to it.

There is direction - the direction of the individual. What there is not is central direction with government overhead deducted.

It
gets spent on things like $50,000,000 airplane toys, liquor and other
drugs, whores, mink coats, and general bling. We get isolated islands of
opulance surrounded by public squalor.

All those thing employ others to produce them. Sometimes at very hefty rates. Other times not.

Are you arguing that the government is more efficient and should direct all spending? I think the Soviets tried that for a while.

One thing I can never get an answer to from proponents of big
government is "How much is enough?".  Care to take a stab at it?

We are so far away from enough that "How much is enough?" is hardly a
reasonable question.

Nonsense - what proportion of the economy do you think should be directed by the government? It is a simple question.

When we start getting close to a decent society you
can raise that question.

Nope, I am raising it now.  That you refuse to answer speaks volumes.

Right now the choice is between helping a sick
child or buying a diamond-encrusted gold tooth.

As it happens my child required thousands of dollars of medical expenses this past year, as did my wife. My choice is paying those bills or saving for college. Retirement is not even a consideration. Are my taxes still to low Tom?