On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 6:33 PM, mike<xha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This seems extreme even for Apple.  Why would they do something like this
> outside the 1 year warranty or 3 year extended?  This seems more like a very
> pleasant mistake on Apple's part then anything near the norm.  The times
> I've dealt with Apple they have been fine, but not crazy like this seems to
> be.

  No mistake on Apple's part at all.  I had about three or so phone
conversations with the representative from Apple in Austin, TX who
arranged this swap of machines.  I initially said to her upon hearing
of her offer, "Are you kidding me?"  She relied, "Absolutely not."
She told me the the part was not immediately available and that Apple
did not want to keep me waiting under the circumstances, but if I was,
for whatever reason, particularly attached to the broken computer and
wanted to wait, I could.  A new computer was mine if I wanted to go
that route instead.  I took that offer.

  The Apple rep was completely aware of the fact it was a used
computer when I bought it and she also knew who the original owner was
by virtue of the computer's serial number, and they knew it had no
warranty.  None of that mattered because they did not have the part I
needed and therefore they could not fulfill their repair promise
within their normal time frame.  That was the situation, and that was
the level of service I received as a result.  I told her that I wanted
to write a letter of commendation on her behalf to Apple headquarters
if she supported that.  She said that would be fine and she
appreciated it and gave me the proper address.  Clearly no mistake or
improper procedures were involved in that happy experience.

  Steve