Quoting b_s-wilk <b1sun...@yahoo.es>:

FireWire is far superior to USB and eSATA, but if you don't know about
it or don't have FW peripherals or video cameras, you won't demand the
best and will be stuck with the usual L.C.D. if Apple decides to
discontinue FW in the future.

The one advantage I've noticed for FireWire is that, on my iBook, it spun down the drive after a certain time of inactivity. I never noticed that (with the same drive) on my Windows machines with USB. I don't know if it's an OS or FW/USB thing or what, but it sure would be nice to have them spin down if I'm not using them for a while.