On Nov 30, 2009, at 6:27 PM, b_s-wilk wrote:
Is a WD notebook drive any good, or should I consider another mfg?

I think it is a crap shoot. Drive quality for various brands goes up and down. The major brands are all usually quite good. You can read about problems with recently made drives, but by the time you read about it the problem drive has probably been fixed or changed and some other drive is having now problems. So I never stress over brand. It is probably safest to buy a drive that has been in production long enough for reviews to accumulate, but then you may be missing out on the latest technology.