I remember that but it was only for newer carts.

My RX700 does not use a chip so I have had no problems.

the CX8400 does have a chip and I am pretty sure these are from off shore. They are a two piecer. A tank with ink, plus a shell with the chip.

They are not the same quality as Epson but they last just as long and are about 1/4 the price. This is not my main printer so I am not as concerned.

I have an HP 7650 which is my main color ink jet (Office class from HP) and the refills for this are pretty inexpensive and I get more mileage from it.

Stewart

At 04:13 PM 1/11/2010, you wrote:
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:08 PM, mike <xha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this is anecdotal, but I do have one friend who refuses to buy third
> party inks after one exploded in a printer bascially and ruined the
> printer.  Third party ink experiences?  Good or bad?  Company names?  I
> think barring an epson horror story we will probably get this printer...

  Epson won a lawsuit in the Unites States a few years ago that bars
third parties from replicating their cartridges, filling them with ink
and selling them.  A couple of companies designed carts that, while
not closely replicating the Epson ones, do work just fine in the
printers they were designed for.  Epson fumed a bit, but could not
really do anything about it.  However, because of that lawsuit, Epson
third party carts are hard to come by these days.  To my knowledge, no
other major printer makers have filed similar lawsuits.

  Steve