I don't think the distinction you're drawing here can be drawn from the
evidence you've summarized, Chris. My original surmise was that the
church merely decided to submit to American law, and I didn't think this
implied a change in its religious views about plural marriages. I
sincerely oppose the violation of many laws that I believe with equal
sincerity should be repealed. Similarly, it seems to me that the Mormon
Church could sincerely oppose the violation of American laws against
plural marriage without in any way implying that it had changed its
religious views about the value of plural marriages. The evidence you
present here seems to reinforce my original suspicion, or at least does
not contradict it.

Is there some church document saying that plural marriages would not be
legitimate even if they were permitted by temporal law? That would seem
to indicate that there had been a change in the church's religious
views, but so far nobody has come up with such a document.

Nelson Lund