A colleague of mine came by my office today to ask about the Jewish
position on monogramy.  I told him that there is/was a dramatic difference
between Sephardi and Ashkenazic Jewry, that monogamy was decreed sometime
in the 11th century (I believe) by (I believe) an Eastern European rabbi,
whereas polygamy remained into the 20th century in a number of Sephardi
communities.  Indeed, I had a friend in Israel who had two mothers-in-law,
because his (now former) wife had emigrated from Yemen, and her father had
two wives.  I'm quite certain that Israel requires monogamy among Jews--I
have no idea what the situation is with regard to Israeli Moslems--but
polygamy was "grandfathered," as it were, for Jewish immigrants who were
involved in plural marriages.

I hypothesized to my colleague that an obvious explanation for the
difference between the two communities is that Jews in Europe felt
pressures to conform to the mores of the dominant Christian community,
which was monogamous, whereas there was obviously no such pressure in
Moslem-dominated Sephardi areas.   Similarly, I have little doubt that the
Church of LDS would have maintained polygamy had the surrounding culture
been more tolerant.

sandy