My intern found some pretty fun questions on a "would you rather"
site. Now, mind you, these aren't soul bearing questions about
coworking but I do think that people's responses really let
personality shine through. For example, would you rather have a pencil
sharpening nostril or a ketchup dispensing navel?" Why?  (feel free to
answer this question in this discussion thread) I chose the nostril
sharpener--mainly because I don't eat a lot of ketchup and I think it
might ruin my shirts.

-Angel

On Feb 22, 9:49 pm, Alex Hillman <[email protected]> wrote:
> I totally agree that we don't need a custom solution. We can build a Wufoo
> form in minutes that asks a few good open ended questions and provide that
> to coworking space owners and community leaders - and see what comes back.
> The data will be structured and we can do just about anything we want with
> it later when Jacob's magic system is ready :)
>
> That's why I was suggesting some brainstorm around the types of questions we
> ask to elicit good stories.
>
> We've been working on interviews with a number of our members as well and
> they're structured in such a way to help them tell an important coworking
> story on their own.
>
> Things I like to ask:
>
>    - where did you first hear about coworking?
>    - what made you decide to come in for the first time?
>    - what were some of your preconceived notions or expectations?
>    - what's one thing you experienced that was unexpected?
>    - who's the first coworker you remember meeting, and what happened?
>    - how do you talk about coworking/indyhall to others?
>    - what's one thing that you'd like to do but haven't yet? why?
>    - what would you tell someone considering coworking/indyhall membership?
>
> -Alex
>
> /ah
> indyhall.org
> coworking in philadelphia
>
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Angel Kwiatkowski
> <[email protected]>wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > I agree--we'd need some serious buy-in to get enough stories....I
> > imagine that stories beget stories. No one wants to be the only person
> > with their story out there! To some extent, yes- "I have my mind made
> > up about this project" but my mind is made up insofar as I think it
> > needs to happen. In order for me to summon the energy to catalyze
> > something like this, I need to know if other space owners can get
> > behind it to spread the word. "Community first, stories second :)" I
> > also don't think we need a custom solution that's built from the
> > ground up. Can it really be as simple as a blog-like site that accepts
> > contributions and is easily searchable?
>
> > On Feb 22, 9:07 pm, Alex Hillman <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I don't think I was looking to introduce parameters or anything
> > complicated,
> > > I was genuinely curious what questions people ask in order to get the
> > > stories worth telling.
>
> > > That's valuable to share here (and document together) so that the goal of
> > > 2012 stories by 2012 isn't just a numbers game, but is tracking quality
> > > stories from more places that have stories worth sharing.
>
> > > There's nothing wrong with running ahead with something and it sounds
> > like
> > > you've got your mind made up on your this project, which is great. My
> > point
> > > was to make this something that could inspire others so you're not the
> > only
> > > one collecting stories, and let it live on beyond your e-book series.
>
> > > Of course it'll change as we go, that's how this whole thing works, but
> > > creating some constraints so that people know HOW to contribute is what's
> > > going to allow this to take off. Remember, not everyone's as comfortable
> > at
> > > writing, interviewing, storytelling, etc.
>
> > > -Alex
>
> > > /ah
> > > indyhall.org
> > > coworking in philadelphia
>
> > > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Angel Kwiatkowski
> > > <[email protected]>wrote:
>
> > > > I'm not a big fan of getting everything figured out first and acting
> > > > later. Let's be honest, coworking is a baby. We don't know what size
> > > > shoes she's going to need in 3 years let alone in the next 2 months. I
> > > > don't want to get hung up in planning it to death or putting a hundred
> > > > parameters around it. What we do need is a solution NOW where
> > > > coworkers can tell their stories where other coworkers can search by
> > > > space or city name (it doesn't even need to bolt on to a database--I'd
> > > > just google a space I was interested in anyway)---be it a facilitated
> > > > q&a format or multimedia (upload a video or paint a picture) I don't
> > > > care, I just want them to be able to share!
>
> > > > We're going to do this with the next in the ebook series and unveil
> > > > the Cohere members' stories in a book at our 1 year anniversary party
> > > > in April. Beth and I had the planning meeting for this TODAY and we'll
> > > > produce the thing in less than 10 weeks.
>
> > > > My goal is to have 2012 coworkers' stories by 2012. Let's make it
> > > > happen.
>
> > > > Angel
>
> > > > On Feb 22, 7:22 pm, Alex Hillman <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > > > > First, our members mostly just want a great place to work and they
> > > > think
> > > > > > it's neat that there are a number of other spaces around the world,
> > but
> > > > they
> > > > > > are more interested in the work they are doing.
>
> > > > > Jacob, you know I love you, but this sounds shortsighted. Just
> > because
> > > > they
> > > > > don't have an expanded worldview doesn't mean that they shouldn't be
> > > > given
> > > > > the chance to see what it could do.
>
> > > > > I can contrast that sentiment that most of our members, while not
> > > > > necessarily aware of the big picture at first or its sheer scale, are
> > > > > extremely excited to be a part of it (and in many cases, contribute
> > to
> > > > it),
> > > > > *given the opportunity*. They love the fact that in places all around
> > the
> > > > > world, people are experiencing something similar to them. We keep the
> > > > local
> > > > > focus, but think it's important to have a global perspective. That's
> > not
> > > > > just an attribute of a better coworker, or business owner/leader,
> > that's
> > > > an
> > > > > attribute of a better *citizen*.
>
> > > > > Without being presented with the possibility of being a part of the
> > > > bigger
> > > > > world just outside their doors, I don't blame them for "not wanting
> > to".
> > > > > They don't even know that they "could want to" let alone that they
> > > > "should
> > > > > want to".
>
> > > > > The trick is to give them the opportunity without also giving them a
> > *
> > > > > completely* blank page to work from.
>
> > > > > Like any interview, the key to this is knowing how to ask good
> > questions,
> > > > > and look for prompts for asking yet more questions. This is hard to
> > > > > automate, but some more in-depth interviews being conducted by the
> > > > members
> > > > > who want to know more about and be known more in the global community
> > is
> > > > > something that I firmly believe that many members will do if they're
> > > > given
> > > > > the opportunity.
>
> > > > > Personally, I'd love to see Angel's idea turn into a brainstorm of
> > the
> > > > kinds
> > > > > of questions and answers that members have with each other and
> > coworking
> > > > > space catalyst, founders, leaders, etc have with them as well.
>
> > > > > From there, I think we can put together some queues for conversation
> > to
> > > > get
> > > > > over "blank page syndrome" and simply provide enough context for the
> > > > stories
> > > > > - and the broader worldview that our members deserve to be able to
> > have
> > > > for
> > > > > themselves - to emerge. What we do with those stories could go in a
> > > > million
> > > > > directions, let's worry about that once we have figured out a good
> > way to
> > > > > capture them.
>
> > > > > -Alex
>
> > > > > /ah
> > > > > indyhall.org
> > > > > coworking in philadelphia
>
> > > > > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Jacob Sayles <
> > [email protected]
> > > > >wrote:
>
> > > > > > Angel,
>
> > > > > > Yes yes yes!  This has been the direction I've been working towards
> > all
> > > > > > along and there are some significant challenges to incorporate.
>
> > > > > > First, our members mostly just want a great place to work and they
> > > > think
> > > > > > it's neat that there are a number of other spaces around the world,
> > but
> > > > they
> > > > > > are more interested in the work they are doing.  It's the space
> > owners
> > > > that
> > > > > > are more invested in the larger coworking movement so they are the
> > > > people
> > > > > > who are putting in the work.  They want to talk about their space
> > > > mostly,
> > > > > > what they build, etc.  I talk up our members and their incredible
> > > > stories<http://www.texttheromanceback.com/rachaelray>all the time but
> > I
> > > > wouldn't be able to keep individual profiles up to date.
> > > > > >  It's enough work to highlight them on our website<
> > > >http://officenomads.com/category/featured-nomad/>.
>
> > > > > > I have lots of thoughts on the Coworking Registry and where it fits
> > in
> > > > the
> > > > > > wider vision.  Mostly it starts with how difficult it is to
> > "organize"
> > > > the
> > > > > > coworking wiki which is currently mostly used to list spaces.  If
> > we
> > > > could
> > > > > > get that buttoned up in a simple, central, neutral, way, and make
> > it
> > > > all
> > > > > > free and open data, then there is a lot we can do with that.  It's
> > only
> > > > one
> > > > > > piece of the puzzle though.
>
> > > > > > I could go in so many directions from here but I'll leave it at
> > that.
> > > >  The
> > > > > > conversation is going to be great in Austin.  :)
>
> > > > > > Jacob
>
> > > > > > ---
> > > > > > Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
> > > > > >http://www.officenomads.com-(206) 323-6500
>
> > > > > > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Angel Kwiatkowski <
> > > > [email protected]>wrote:
>
> > > > > >> When Alex said, "The biggest thing I continually see missing from
> > > > > >> directories like this is a
> > > > > >> sort of sense of humanity - physical attributes are useful in
> > > > > >> determining
> > > > > >> what you DON'T want, but make it hard to differentiate between one
> > > > > >> space and
> > > > > >> the next once you know what you DO want."
>
> > > > > >> I've been reading up on the coworking registry database and
> > whatnot
> > > > > >> but again as a member just told me, "I don't want to know where
> > the
> > > > > >> desks/spaces are, I want to know where my people are." I think
> > that as
> > > > > >> a community of community-minded people-centric people we missed
> > the
> > > > > >> boat. Big time. As a matter of fact, we're in the wrong boat going
> > the
>
> ...
>
> read more »

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

Reply via email to