Near as I can guess, Redhat 6.2 (released April 2000) would be just
about situated to have shipped the CVS code from 1999... "svn log"
shows me checkins going back that far.

Maybe the best thing to do is install 6.2 in a VM and just grab the
packages... or maybe install a similarly-aged Debian / Slackware, to
reduce my RPM frustrations :) I might try that tonight, will report
back if successful

john