Am 05.01.12 01:05, schrieb Kathy Wheeler:

On 01/05/2012, at 9:53 AM, Joergen W. Lang wrote:
Am 04.01.12 23:26, schrieb Kathy Wheeler:
On 01/05/2012, at 8:52 AM, Joergen W. Lang wrote:
For future projects you might also consider using a web font
service such as Fontsquirrel to avoid other web font-related
issues.

What are the other "web font-related" issues you refer to here?

Cross-browser compatibility, file sizes (of different formats),
licensing (to some extent).

I can see how licensing might be an issue, but what difference would
hosting the font yourself vs services like Fontsquirrel make to cross
browser or file size issues?

As far as I know, Fontsquirrel does not even offer font hosting. Instead they help you build a @font-face "kit" [1]. This contains the CSS and font files needed to host them on a machine of your choice.

Hosting might be a help since services like the Google Fonts API [2] abstract away the construction of the @font-face rule altogether. You just need to place the appropriate <link> tag in the head of your HTML file.

Both ways share the quality that the CSS rules are optimized to serve the best possible font for the browser requesting it.

Jørgen

P.S.: We might be drifting off-topic here. Maybe better continue off-list?

[1] http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fontface/generator
[2] http://www.google.com/webfonts#ChoosePlace:select