-Caveat Lector-

I would like to agree with your thesis that the southern states would have
abandoned the institution of slavery on their own without federal
intervention, but I don't think it was a likely prospect.

In general, I'm opposed to the use of force against people.  I dislike the
idea of pushing people around for whatever reason.  But I believe that
most of us on the list would agree that some measure of force or coercion
is necessary for the maintenance of a civil society. I know we can go on
and on about these topics (what is the best form of government...when
should military force be used....what constitutes a violation of our civil
liberties...etc), but I think most of us have to recognize that
until there is some major transformation of human nature and human
society, "power" or force must be used in order to maintain order within a
civil society.

The American federal government during the 1860s was not the superpower
state of today....   One of the tragedies of the period was that once
having "freed" the slaves, the Federal government found itself not having
either the will nor the wherewithal to protect and to insure the civil
liberties of black Americans.  Not having a way of supporting themselves,
many of the former slaves understandably looked to their former masters
for guidance and support in their new status.   Clearly, the Federal
government had a responsibility to these individuals to help them to
become productive members of a society  for which they were ill prepared
to enter...  Lacking the funds/political support/a workable plan, the US
government more or less abandoned these individuals to the tender mercies
of a market economy that the newly freed slaves didn't understand...

Plus, look at the
condition of southern agriculture after the Civil War...not a happy
picture....  Of course, some states fared better than others..but my point
is that the concept of freedom is a tricky one.  Are you truly "free" if
you are illiterate, without marketable skills,lacking capital in a society
that considers you to be less than human?  The prevailing social
philosophy of the time--"root, hog or die"--might have been workable IF
the former slaves would have had the wherewithal to support themselves
(land,tools,food,shelter,etc)...instead, they found themselves having to
sell what little skills they possessed in an economy that had been
devastated by war.  The federal government just wanted the problem to go
away.... White Americans were more interested in getting on with their own
lives...putting an end to the enmity against the former rebels... What to
do with the recently freed slaves was not particularly high on the
political agenda.... (Of course, there were those who were prescient
enough to warn their fellow countrymen of the consequences of ignoring the
situation.  But they weren't listened to..).

There are sins of comission and sins of omission... The Reconstruction was
a disaster for a variety of reasons...and I'm sure everyone has their
ideas on what went wrong.

Some of us argue that the government should play a positive role in
helping people...others argue that ANY kind of aid is unconstitutional,
etc...  And much of our list discussions on these topics are carried into
abstract terms...

I would only point out that these concepts of "freedom" and "liberty" must
be placed within an economic/social/historical/cultural framework for them
to be properly understood.

Have a nice day everyone,
Wm