-Caveat Lector-

I lived overseas, Hawk.  (Mexico)  I've had to come to the aid of
Americans stranded down there..and in one case, they were tourists about
to be jumped by the locals.  I speak Spanish and with my Native American
blood gives me a Hispanic look...so I can easily pass as Mexican down
there... although I'm over six feet inches tall....  Americans should stay
the hell out of these places..but they still wonder into them without
realizing that not everyone is in love with them.

As far as shooting a representative of the government, I don't think
that's a good idea...  I don't think I would want my kids to be doing hard
time or to be six feet under...

Re: the south.  I'm all for the idea of letting them separate from
themselves from the US.  Great idea.

Re: oaths.  There is a question about doing the honorable thing.  If you
put on the uniform of your country, you have committed yourself to serve
under its commander....  It doesn't matter whether or not the guy is a son
of a bitch, a born-again Christian, of a political party that you
approve of...is sitting in the Oval Office with a woman on his knee,
smoking an illegal drug.  You follow orders and go where they send you and
do your duty.  If you don't like it, take off the uniform..and join
another army.

Re: Grant's view on slavery...A lot of the Union
soldiers/commanders/politicians had no special love for the idea of racial
equality, abolition of slavery, etc.  so what.  They did their duty which
involved putting an end to the rebellion.

As I stated earlier, I think states do have the right to remove themselves
from the Union......  Perhaps, California will go back to Mexico...Florida
to Cuba  ...personally, I'm not against whatever the people in the state
decide on...  If they want to leave the US...that's fine by me.

Regards,
Wm