-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 12/19/98 7:10:59 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Dec 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>The Constitution is a 'political document.
>>
>>It is not a legal document using 'Law' definitions.
>
>It most certainly IS a legal document, it is the document from where all

In a message dated 12/19/98 7:10:59 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
We may disagree. The Constitution is not a legal document, it is the begatter
of laws and of legal defences. It is a common document. Misdemeanor is not
used in the the impeachment clause as to its law definition

>other U.S. laws stem...
>
>        CONSTITUTION:   ...a) the system of basic laws and
>        principles of government, society, etc.  b) a document
>        stating these.  c) such a document of the U.S.
>
>                -- Webster's New World Dictionary
>

>        CONSTITUTION:  an established law or custom...the basic
>        law in a politically organized body; also a document
>        containing such law
>
>                -- The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
>

>        "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a
>        more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic
>        Tranquility, provide the common defence, promote the
>        general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to
>        ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish
>        this Constitution for the United States of America."
>
>                --  Preamble to the U.S. Constitution
>

>        "This Constitution, and all Laws of the United States
>        which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all
>        Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the
>        Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme
>        Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall
>        be bound thereby...
>
>                -- Article VI, U.S. Constitution
>

>        "The Senators and Representatives before mentioned,
>        and the Members of the several State Legislatures,
>        and all executive and judicial Officers, both of
>        the United States and of the several States, shall
>        be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this
>        Constitution..."
>
>                -- Article VI, U.S. Constitution
>

>If the Constitution is NOT a legal document, then it is meaningless...
>and I don't want to hear you, or anyone else complaining about 'the right
>to free speech', or 'the right to keep and bear arms', if you sincerely
>believe it is nothing except a 'common' piece of paper...

It is the paper of our common understanding. It is a statement of our natural
rights.
It is a document that begats out laws. It is part of our organic laws, with
such documents as the Declaration of Independce and such.  It is a repository
of of things laws cannot be made about. It is not a legal document. It is
before our legal documents.

>>By a quick perusal of quotes from the Federalist and by the very actions of
>>the generation that founded our great country with blood and fortitude; and
>>wrote that great document, that sexual matters and personal 'crimes', (a
>>felony or misdeamors leagally) were not impeachable offenses.
>
>No, but perjury, and obstruction of justice -- which is what the 4
>articles of impeachment against Clinton comprise -- ARE considered
>impeachable offenses.
>
>And as I've mentioned more than once, federal judges HAVE been impeached
>for behavior which could be construed to be solely 'sexual matters and
>personal crimes'...so if conduct is considered an impeachable offense in
>a federal judge, why WOULDN'T it also be an impeachable offense in the
>President of the United States?

No, June, and there is much disagreement from scholars as to the 'fact' of
those 'crimes' impeachability.  You may say so, but you are not binding.

It is quite obvious from history and the Constitution that impeachment of the
president is different that judges. Federal judges are appointed. The
President is elected by the people in a general election.

What we are witnessing are partisan impeachment proceedings. Theatre not
justice.

----