-Caveat Lector-

On 24 Oct 99, , Das wrote:

> I think the disagreement with you is based on confusing what the Egyptians
> believed (amply recorded in both their texts and drawings and sculptures)
> and what relatively modern "illuminati" CLAIM they believed, attempting to
> subsume Egyptian religion under the themes found in Indo-European as well
> as SOME Near Eastern religions, just in order to make everything "come out
> right" as "universal."  The archeological evidence makes clear the fact
> that even in the Near East, even in ancient Sumer, the "gender of
> cosmology" was in fact OPPOSITE to what we have in later, more
> "patriarchal" times. For example, in both Egypt and Sumer, the moon is
> MALE, and in various places in Mesopotamia the sun is female (the female
> Shapash instead of the male Shamash), and Venus' and Mars' genders are
> usually reversed -- Dumuzi/Tammuz is the MALE fertility god and
> Inanna/Ishtar is the GODDESS of war and sexual frenzy, not at all a "love"
> goddess!  The male is portrayed as a bull, the female as a scorpion,
> mirroring the forms of the signs Taurus and Scorpio.  (Athena for the
> Greeks was goddess of WAR earlier than Ares, note, and Dionysus was a
> sensuous FERTILITY god of sorts.) Of course, along with the (to us)
> "gender reversal" of social roles, the MOST ancient layer of culture in
> both Egypt and Sumer was "matriarchal," which to an anthropologist means
> MATRILINEAL.  In Egypt, the pharaoh inherited his office through the Queen
> Mother (see the Heb-Sed ritual, where he dances around a veiled goddess on
> a throne) and in Sumer, the lugal (priest-king) assumed office after
> "wedding" the Goddess in the form of the High Priestess.  Come the Age of
> Aries, these Taurean concepts fell into disfavor with the patriarchal
> warlords, who "masculinized" ALL divinity, as in Greece, leaving female
> deities to govern only the element most DESPISED by them -- "earth."

Yes! Thanks Goat for saying it so clearly and well. Lately I seem to have little
patience
for explaining things.

This ancient matrilineality is almost always left out of historical discussion--I
believe
the change took place somewhere around 2500 BC with the fall of Babylon--by which
time many of the matriarchal practices were probably decadent and corrupt ( as are
many of the patriarchal practices today). One of the major world changes created by
the establishment of Judiasm was the change from matriarchy to patriarchy with the
subsequent demonization of all matriarchal practices. (The evil of Lillith, etc.)
sno0wl