-Caveat Lector-

On 28 Oct 99, at 6:32, Das GOAT wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> In a message dated 99-10-27 11:17:07 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> writes:
>
> >In the Germanic languages, the moon is male (cf MHG 'der Mond') and
> >the sun is female ('die Sonne'); I believe this is echoed in a number
> >of other IE language groups. Determining to what extent the dichotomy
> >reflects religious doctrine/practice is extremely difficult,
> >particularly when, as with the German and their cousins the Norse,
> >the myths were only collected and recorded well after the conversion
> >to Christianity and are thus in many cases closer in spirit to "fairy
> >tales" than to true myths. But see Jaan Puhvel, *Comparative
> >Mythology*, and J.P. Mallory, *In Search of the Indo-Europeans*; see
> >also Mircea Eliade, *A History of Religious Thought*, vol. 1.
>
> The same in Latvian, my father's native language, and I seem to recall
> that the Letts --if not the oldest, the SECOND oldest group of
> Indo-Europeans to survive culturally intact into the Middle Ages--
> honored a moon god and a sun goddess.  If I have enough time off the
> job to consult my hefty Sanskrit dictionary (which includes
> etymologies), I'll report what the respective genders of sun and moon
> are in that ancient IE language. All to show that, at least
> ORIGINALLY, both Near Eastern and I-E cultures shared a tendency to
> reverse modern sex-roles, in terms of  the gender of planetary
> deities.

For anyone with the time and interest, I would recommend going to:

http://members.aol.com/phikent/orbit/orbit.html

This is an absolutely fabulous site which keeps up to date on
solar/weather goings on--including quakes, solar storms and all
sorts of anomalies  including contrails (from a scientific viewpoint)--
as well as mythology--from visionaries who look to the Pleiades to
those  who have just come back--in actuality--from the new
Egyptian digs with incredible photographs of the newly opened
tomb of Osiris under the Sphinx--which the infamous Hawass is
using not to inform the world but to ingratiate himself with
Scandinavian royalty.

You could spend weeks here following all the links....and you
would be almost certain to find something to really interest you--
whether your take is pragmatic or otherworldly or somewhere
inbetween.

Kent Steadman --an artist and genius (IMHO) updates the site
almost daily and it is well worth following for the big picture of "the
weather." His site must be one of the most brilliant on the internet
and should be of interest to anyone whose interest goes beyond
the surface of politics.

Prudy--no need to go to the library or the bookstore. It's all on the
internet. You just have to look.

Happy Advenutirng!!