...now I just have to go see if I can get my hands on a decent Nvidia card
> without the bitcoin miners snapping them all up :p

Note that if you plan to keep the pc for some years, nvidia will stop
developing the proprietary driver, and maybe you have to moreless trash the
pc since newer kernel and so on won't work with old gpu drivers...

Except that NVidia has a clear support commitment and a public timeline for
end of support, which for example currently guarantees support for some
legacy cards (circa 10 years old) until 2019 (
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3142). Add to that their
current push to use CUDA (only available on the proprietary driver) for
anything from HP computing to machine learning, and I would bet that any
current NVidia card will still be supported long after it has become
obsolete.

Regards,
Guillermo