On lundi 9 avril 2018 19:28:15 CEST Timur Irikovich Davletshin wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-04-09 at 10:06 -0700, Peter Cripps wrote:
> > At risk of complicating this discussion, I processed an over-exposed
> > RAW
> > file in darktable and Lightroom. In both cases, I pulled the
> > exposure
> > back by 2ev. No other tweaks. The results are quite different, and
> > seem
> > to show that dt is losing some of the high intensity pixels.
> >
> > (I said 'seem to'. Please don't pile into me!)
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/se9yawlsbl7zpff/darktable.jpg?dl=0
> > (darktable)
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/0cepsk7i54v4x72/Lightroom.jpg?dl=0
> > (Lightroom)
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrg997wamwg6yj6/Y5050211.ORF?dl=0 (.orf)

> > ble.org
>
> Well, did they look the same before reducing exposure? I wonder if
> basecurve is the same in both cases (two options are available in DT).
> Looks like LR does some sort of highlight reconstruction by default, if
> you enable LCh reconstruction in DT you will get same amount of details
> but different color cast...

The more I see such comparisons of two programs, the more I doubt their value,
when claims are that the same (limited) tools are used. Here we see it
already, in that DT has 2 'olympus' baseline curves (and 10-20 predefined
ones). It's clear that LR does apply a similar tone curve, but it's not stated
explicitly...

So just in this simple example we have two points of discussion: basecurve and
highlight reconstruction...

If it were that simple, we wouldn't have the discussions about importing
editing instructions between programs. But in practice, each program has its
own tweaks, and its way of doing things. From what I see here, LR does a few
things automatically that need to be done "by hand" in DT. And that kind of
thing is nice when you start, but tends to limit what advanced users can do.

Remco