On mardi 5 janvier 2021 15:54:13 CET Willy Williams wrote:
> Interesting!  On my machines, I still can get to the setting for folder
> levels under [Preferences / lighttable / number of folders to show in
> lists] where it is set to 3.
>

> Yet, if I look in darktablerc, I see .  It appears that Preferences
> overrides darktablerc.  True or false?
(...)
That should indeed be the case:
your *local* darktablerc (see below) is read on startup, and the values there
are used and shown in the Preferences dialog. Changes made through the
Preferences dialog are written back to your local darktablerc (on exiting
darktable(?)).

Some changes can only be applied on start-up, so those require a restart to be
visible. But they are still stored internally and written back to darktablerc.

But keep in mind that there are *two* versions of darktablerc:
- a global one, used on first start, and containing default values. Users
normally cannot write to this file.
- a local one, written when you exit darktable and used on subsequent runs. So
in effect, the local darktablerc overrules the global darktablerc.

So the value in the *global* darktablerc can be different from what you see in
the Preferences dialog...