I'm not saying that I'm trying to change the levels shown.  I am saying that when I open darktable, the preferences show 3 levels as previously noted, yet darktablerc shows 1 level.  No changes have been made in preferences or in darktablerc since 3.4.0 came out on 12/24/20. Just sayin'.

Willy Williams