Hi Mike,

On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 09:40:07PM +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> > What about doing it the other way around, and change behaviour of
> > blends-dev for the tasks with a format line and leave the old behaviour
>
> The issue about the tasks files is that they look like debian/control, but
> behave entirely differently.

I'm all for making tasks files RFC822 compatible.

> > as it is for those without it?  This will be more like debhelper
> > compatiblity levels, and we can handle many different behaviours without
> > breaking existing packages.
>
> We break and immediately fix existing packages. I have already started
> downgrading various packages in debian-edu task files from Depends: to
> Recommends:.
>
> For the other blends, afaict Andreas is open to downgrading all Depends: to
> Recommends:, too.

Yes.  Its done in my local Git repository.

> Problematic are blend packages that exist on the planet
> and are not in Debian.

Sorry, that's per definition no problem for us.  Blends is an internal
thing in Debian and was never announced as a tool for external use.

> Is anyone here maintaining blend packages that have not been uploaded to
> Debian? If so, please speak up.

... or just adapt.

> > This way the debian-edu package could set 'Format: .../format/2' or
> > similar to get the new behaviour, and the others might migrate at their
> > own leisure.
>
> If we want to support blend packages outside of Debian, we probably have to
> had something like that to the header.

I repeat I'd love to make things simple.  If people run into problems
since they stay outside I do not care very much ... as long as the fix
is as simple as a sed one liner.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--