Package: debian-installer
Tags: d-i

Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> FWIW I've seen this too. I never solved it, but AFAIK somebody I knew fixed
> it by enabling both ISA support (!) _and_ ISA PnP (!!) in the kernel config.
> (I was told this was because PCMCIA (as opposed to CardBus) actually is an
> ISA-style bus.) I don't know what Debian's kernels do...

Well we obviously need a bug report for this. Mainly what I found on google
for this error message were suggestions to make sure that ISA support was in
the kernel, which it is for the d-i boot kernel:

CONFIG_ISA=y
CONFIG_EISA=y
CONFIG_ISAPNP=m

In private mail, Jan Lübbe reported he also had the problem with 2.6.0-test9,
and that he solved it by "building with isa-pnp not as a module". I've tried
anything.

I did find a way to make it work for me. If I comment out either or both of
these lines in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts, my orinoco card works:

exclude irq 4
exclude irq 7

It seems it can only use irq 4 or 7, no others work for some reason.
/proc/interrupts shows only these irqs in use: 0, 1, 2, 8, 14, 15. The cardbus
controller is on 3. Why can't it use irqs 3, 5, 6, or 10-13, or share an IRQ? I
don't know.

Perhaps for d-i we should remove the exclude irq lines entirely from the
config.opts. I really don't know.

--
see shy jo